May 20, 2009
Top 10 Cannes Film Festival Publicity Stunts.
Every May thousands of film makers slog it out for media attention at the Cannes Film Festival, in the South Of France. Here’s 10 of our favourites.
1. Sacha Baron Cohen stages a photocall for his movie Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan on the Cannes beach – sporting his custom, lime green mankini. (2006)
2. A vulture is paraded down the red carpet for the VIP screening of Over the Hedge. (2006)
3. To promote Bee Movie – Jerry Seinfeld zoomed down a 126 meter wire which took him across a four lane road, to the beach pier below where the press pack of international media were assembled. (2007)
4. On one of the hottest days of the year Jim Carrey steps out into a winter wonderland of Christmas trees, frost covered lawns and snow to promote Disney’s new version of A Christmas Carol. (2009)
5. Brigitte Bardot raised temperatures on the Cote d’Azur when she appeared in just a bikini. (1953)
6. Jack Black and a troupe of giant panda bears promote the DreamWorks animation Kung Fu Panda. (2008)
7. Festival crowds were greeted with team of nude Belgian cyclists recreating a scene from La Merditude des Choses. (2009)
8. Dennis Hopper, Peter Fonda and Jack Nicholson raise hell when their movie Easy Rider premiered at Cannes. (1969)
9. Dreamworks created a giant “Gromit” from the animated film Wallace and Gromit: The Curse Of The Were-Rabbit. (2005)
10. It’s not all about the stars. Performance artists storm the red carpet in protest against French unemployment benefits as planned – the lettering backs reads “negotiation”. (2004)
If you think there’s anything missing here please do let us know. Contact: [email protected]
If you enjoyed this post visit our Publicity Stunt Hall Of Fame – which lists the Top 70 PR stunts of all time.
(Picture creds; Splash, AP, Retna, Reuters)