Sir Richard Branson: King Of The Publicity Stunt
Posted on February 18th, 2009 James in Publicity Stunts,Uncategorized.
Sir Richard Branson is the undisputed king of the eye-catching media opportunity – here’s ten of our favourites.
1. The Virgin Atlantic entrepreneur has made four attempts to circumnavigate the globe by balloon.
2. For the launch of Virgin Cola, he drove into New York’s Times Square in a branded tank promising a battle with Coke and Pepsi.
3. Dressed in a dinner jacket and bow tie he motored from Dover to Calais in one hour and 40 minutes, setting a new cross-Channel record. The stunt was to mark the 20th anniversary of Virgin Atlantic.
4. Branson shaved his beard and donned a wedding dress to promote bridal wear store Virgin Brides (David Thomson/AFP/Getty Images)
5. Launching his first TV channel Virgin 1 – with customised television headgear.
6. At the World Islands Development in Dubai (AFP/Getty)
7. Promoting Virgin Atlantic’s first flights to the Middle East (PA)
8. The 1996 launch of Virgin.net, an Internet service provider (John Li/Getty Images)
9. Announcing the new space travel company, Virgin Galactica.
10. Launching Virgin Vie – his cosmetics and toiletries brand (PA).
If you’ve read this far then you may even find this post quite interesting too…