March 29, 2012
The famous sign was first erected in 1923 and originally read Hollywoodland. Its purpose was to advertise the name of a new housing development in the hills above the Hollywood district of Los Angeles.
In 1949 the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce contracted to repair and rebuild the sign. The contract stipulated that “LAND” be removed to reflect the district, not the housing development.“